Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Back at Home

When I set out on my South African journey I created a list of do's and don'ts. In case you forgot, here is a refresher:

1) Don't throw up on person seated next to me on plane. No matter how much I try, it will never be considered a bonding moment.
2) Eat new foods! (Shouldn't be a problem). (Warning: see #1: sensitive stomach)
3) Appreciate the language(s):  Try and eavesdrop on people speaking Xhosa (click) as much as possible.
4) Embrace being out of my element (examples include: bungee jumping, swimming with Great Whites, safari)
5) Ride the elephant, don't let the elephant ride me. (To be understood literally and metaphorically).

Looking back on the past five months, I feel pretty accomplished. I never threw up on Michele or Mollie, in fact I slept for the majority of the plane ride both to and fro, I learned (very basic communication skills) of Xhosa, Afrikaans and Shona. I tried new foods (yes mom, I did eat something other than Mcds). I was often out of my element and it was arguably the best part (i.e.: Langa homestay, working at Masiyile, shark cage diving). And finally, at times the elephant rode me. Things were bumpy, awkward, disheartening, overwhelming and nerve-wracking. But I rode that elephant right back. No bumpiness or awkwardness could ever measure up to how incredible the past five months were. I am so appreciative of the people who made it such an amazing semester- I WILL be back!!

Unjani, dankie, thanks!

With love,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment