Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Langa Homestay

On the weekend of April 20th, the service-learners had the chance to do an authentic homestay in Langa township. Langa is about fifteen minutes outside of Cape Town and one of the oldest townships in South Africa. I stayed with a single mom and her 21 year old daughter in an RDP house. There was a tremendous sense of community and Xhosa culture and although townships often get stigmatized for being dangerous, I felt completely safe and loved the entire time. It was one of my favorite experiences because I had the chance to feel completely uncomfortable and rely on basic human interactions. I had the chance to learn about her life, her family and her community. We also spent all day Saturday at Aces, an outside meat restaurant. It was great!

Easily the cutest kid I've ever met

Me and Aleah, a 5 year old who lived in Langa

Me and my host mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment