Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dear Mom

Dear mom,

Don't get me wrong, you're a wonderful woman whose provided me with endless amounts of love (and food) since I came parading into this world. But, I think it's time to break the news that I'm never coming home from Africa. Don't worry, I have legitimate reasons:

One. I go to school in a mountain. No, really, the University of Cape Town is seated at the foothills of Table Mountain. We are not in Kansas anymore. (And we are definitely not in Providence). Just to give you a glimpse...


Two. On the weekends we go here...


Three. When we're hungry we eat this...


 Love always,
Grace

Okay, we've essentially been living like queens. But the honeymoon phase is over and I'm not as shallow as the above pictures suggested. Living in SA so far has been quite an experience- good and bad. Yes the weather, nightlife, beaches, and food are all amazing and beyond anything I anticipated, but South Africa has an ugly past of racial segregation that still manifests itself in ways I'm unfamiliar with. For example, the beaches. Some beaches, such as Maiden's Cove, will have mostly Black and Coloured South Africans while just beyond its boulders at Camp's Bay or Clifton Beach will be primarily comprised of White South Africans. While University of Cape Town is definitely diverse both in language and skin color, I've noticed students with the same colored skin still congregate together. Then again, can I really pass judgment here when PC is no different? In fact, PC is must more racially homogenized than UCT.

As many of you know, part of the reason I was so attracted to the CIEE Cape Town program was its service-learning component. All of the people I live with are involved with service work that we dedicate 10-15 hours a week on and will eventually create a capstone project on. My friend Mollie and I chose to volunteer at Masiyile High School in Khaletsysha, a township about 30 minutes away. For a few days a week we have the chance to step into a different world and immerse ourselves in an all-Black community that is primarily Xhosa speaking. Our white skin automatically separates us from the students and implies an air of wealth and superiority. It is uncomfortable and has created a lot of emotional and cultural barriers that we will have to overcome. But, I don't think we would have chosen this site if we weren't prepared to deconstruct those barriers and dispel any false perceptions of Americans. Similarly, I am prepared to eliminate any stereotypes I may have had about townships. Most importantly, I hope to gain a new perspective on what is means to be educated, the importance of language, and an altogether re-conceptualization of wealth and what it means to live a full life.

Surprisingly the classrooms are extremely structured (see? stereotype #1) and the respect the students have for the teachers is something American students should work towards emulating. The teachers switch back and forth from english and Xhosa and it's been cool to hear the different clicks. Of course I sound like an absolute idiot when I try to speak it but it's a process, right?

I'll leave you with this very inspiring fact I learned yesterday while working. The matric (pass) rate for Masiyile in 2009 was 31%, in 2010 it was 33% and in 2011 it was 87%. Why? The teachers implemented peer tutoring. Amazing! They are aiming for 90-100% for this year, 2012.

Write soon! (Or, knowing me, in 4 weeks from now)
g

No comments:

Post a Comment