Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The First Month in a Nutshell

I am officially bad at blogging but blame the mother earth and the high seas: there is a cable that runs under water from the USA to SA that provides the internet. What? Who knew!

Anyways, I'm going to make it a weekly goal to blog so it won't end up like this post. Strap in, I'm about to inundate you with info that you probably will end up skimming over.  (Just kidding, I have more faith in you than that).

(Or do I?)

Here is a brief list of the big headliners:

Langa Township Tour & Mzoli's Meat
Bo Kapp
(21st birthday! I warned you about the narcissism)
Robben Island
Parliament
Lion's Head
High Africa Retreat


 Langa Township Tour was an interesting experience; interesting being a euphemism for one of the most uncomfortable days ever. Don't get me wrong, it was worthwhile and gave me insight into economic apartheid and class stratification in South Africa, but walking through an impoverished neighborhood snapping pictures made us look even more touristy and out of place than we already were. We may as well have been wearing American flag t-shirts. But, like most things I've experienced thus far while in SA, it's not about us. Yes, I felt uncomfortable but the trip exposed me to a world I seldom live in. It also made me re-conceptualize wealth in that I may have more tangible possessions but the people of Langa have a rich sense of culture. 


A few days later we took a tour of Bo Kaap, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Cape Town known for its pastel colored houses. Bo Kaap is also the home of the oldest Mosque in South Africa, Auwal Masjid estbalished in 1704. We also had the opportunity to visit the mosque and go to a Muslim family's home for an authentic Cape Malay cuisine which consisted of samosas, rice and chicken, vegetables, and more.


We also took a tour of Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela and hundreds of other political prisoners were held during Apartheid. Don't get me wrong, this trip was something I had been looking forward too since I sent my application in to study abroad in Cape Town. Unfortunately, the trip was planned the day after my 21st birthday and the ferry ride over was like a scene out of the Perfect Storm. Luckily standing outside of Nelson Mandela's jail cell was an incredibly sobering experience. Pun intended.



Our trip to Parliament was also interesting and I learned that SA is a leading country in representing both genders equally in Parliament. A few weeks ago we hiked Lion's Head (well, a few of us: I had a panic attack and could only make it half way up. Eye rolling is totally appropriate, don't worry). Nonetheless it was a beautiful view and I've make it a personal 'must' to climb it before I leave. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll climb Table Mountain.

Here is a view of the corner of Table Mountain and other mountains that overlook Camp's Bay, half way up Lion's Head:

 And a view of the sunset:




The last "big" thing we've done is High Africa, a weekend retreat in which we reflected upon our weeks so far in South Africa and where we hope the semester will take us. Team building and group bonding ensued and it turned out to be a really relaxing weekend. The first night they had us sit alone in the dark without anyone remotely close to us for 20-25 minutes. After my fears of water animals creeping out of the water to attack me subsided, I allowed myself to fully immerse myself in the nature that surrounded me. I thought a lot about life's purpose and what I am doing. More importantly, I thought about how the decisions I make affect those around me and in what ways I can become a better person. Unfortunately, all of this peaceful self-reflection came to an abrupt halt the next day when we had to do a high-ropes course and I practically defecated in my pants.


I'll leave you with that beautifully-painted picture,
g

(has 'g' caught on yet?)

No comments:

Post a Comment